segunda-feira, 3 de setembro de 2018

Pz.Kpfw I - German light tank



This iconic German tank history began in 1933.

Developed by Krupp and initially named Sd.Kfz.101 this light tank faced extensive trials until 1936 when the Wehrmacht has put it in service as the Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf. A.

This first version used a thin armor of only 13 mm, armed with a pair of 7.62 mm machine guns and plagued with engine and suspension problems this tank served most of the time as a training machine with only a few that have fought in panzer divisions until 1941.


The Pz.Kpfw I Ausf. B was developed in 1936 and built until 1938, this improved version had a longer chassis with a extra wheel with enough space to house the new 90 hp Maybach NL 38 TR engine, also featured a improved suspension but the armament and armor has not changed. Both versions Ausf. A and Ausf. B were used as basis for some variants like the Flankpanzer I armed with a 20 mm Flak 38, the Panzerjager I armed with a 47 mm KPUZ Skoda cannon and the Bison I armed with the huge 150 mm sIG 33 howitzer.

The Ausf. C and Ausf. F were both late variants of the Pz.Kpfw I, some may call it "Mini Tigers" since they received many improvements including thicker armor (30 mm for Ausf. C and 80 mm for Ausf. F), torsion-bar suspension and a more powerful 150 hp Maybach HL45 Otto engine.

Its first battle was recorded by 1936 during the Spanish Civil War but the Pz.Kpfw I served the Germany during the World War II and after it by the Spanish army until 1954.



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário